Monday, May 26, 2008

Brisbane Caravan show

22nd May

We booked our flights and accommodation in Brisbane to go and see the Caravan and Camping show. We are really looking forward to that weekend. It was our anniversary a couple of weeks ago, so we decided to go and have a weekend at a B&B in Annerley we had stayed at before.(link on the blogg)
I have contacted a few dealers about vans over the last few months and we (Fae & I) have both come up with the same van that suits us. It is a Jayco either 23ft or 25ft rear en-suite front end kitchen model. We want to take out the dinette and put in a couple of smaller arm chairs that we found in A-mart that are very comfortable. I know once again that no one agrees with us but there you are.
I sold and managed a caravan yard in Adelaide for over 6 years and I used to recon that Jayco built a reasonably good van. The prices of vans now are unbelievable, especially one like Baroma etc. The prices are amazing. Yes I know you get what you pay for but how they can justify some of the prices !!
I have got to tell you about an incident the other day. Went and had a look at the new Millard on show near home, 23ft , I could not get down the side of the N/S bed. The wheel arches were there plus only about 8 inches of room for legs. I lifted up the bed on the gas struts, to be pleasantly surprised by the amount of room under there. But the very first joint I looked at had four staples in about 20mm of wood and only two were holding. After talking to the sales man he asked what I was looking at in a van and I told him about the Jayco we liked. His reaction should have been “yes, a nice van but I believe ours are a bit better because of ……………..etc.” instead of that he said , you know what they say about Jayco? You only have one because they are crap. Guess I won’t be dealing with him or Millard. Never mind each to his own, that is why they are all in business, just as I said before about the Holden and ford drivers. Any way as I said we are both looking forward to a weekend in Brisbane. I don’t think we can afford a new van but it will be nice to dream and see what you can get.

No comments: